It was an arranged marriage, but can they make it work after the betrayals of the past?
Will Marina ever forgive him for what happened twelve years ago? She plans to make her new husband’s life a misery.
Danilo’s plan is to forget the past, win her heart for a second time, but will she let him? Whose plan will succeed? And what about the man who is determined to threaten their happiness?
Publisher’s Note: This steamy contemporary romance contains a theme of power exchange.
Author Interview with Raffaella Rowell
Do you have an all-time favourite novel?
I have a few favourite novels that I reread every so often, when the mood takes me. One in particular:
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The novel begins with one of its most quoted lines: ‘Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.’
The novel is a great classic of literature published in 1878. It deals with themes of betrayal, fidelity, adultery, desire, jealousy, faith, family, marriage, Imperial Russian society, rural versus city life.
Not forgetting key train scenes!
The plot centres on a married woman, Anna Karenina, and her affair with the dashing cavalry officer Count Alexei Vronsky. This passionate romance scandalises St Petersburg’s influential society, and forces the lovers to flee to Italy in a fruitless attempt to search for happiness. Anna pays a top price for the pursuit of love with Count Vronsky, with ultimately tragic consequences.
This novel evokes all sort of emotions in me. I love it. Fabulous!
Who are some of your favourite authors?
I have several favourite authors but to mention a few:
- Leo Tolstoy with his epic novels: Anna Karenina and War and Peace.
- Daphne du Maurier with her suspense novels: Rebecca, My Cousin Rachel, Jamaica In and The Scapegoat, my preferred ones, but I love all of them.
- Henry James: his prose is often complex but his stories are so modern even over a century later.
What genres do you write in?
I write romance novels with a twist of suspense, spicy and sexy in the midst. I love strong heroines with complex relationships with their alpha heroes; I like when spark fly between them.
Tea or coffee?
Coffee! Though I have drunk the occasional mug of tea. I love a good cup of coffee, in particular when there is a slice of cheesecake to go with it.
It keeps me going when I write.
Do you prefer libraries or bookstores?
I used to spend a lot of time in the library when I was younger, so I associate libraries more with studies than reading for pleasure. I know this is not the case… but habits die hard.
My local bookstore is always welcoming, it has an amazing selection of books, and expert advice on new releases. The staff cannot do enough for you. I love looking through the shelves. I enjoy the thrill of buying a new book and keep it forever!
Five Fun Facts
- I enjoy baking and my delicious baked ricotta cheesecake is legendary!
- I love pizza! My favourite is with gorgonzola and pears. I could eat it every day!
- My favourite colour is pink. Anything pink, I like by default.
- I like music and I play the piano, but I cannot sing a note to save my life!
- My favourite place in the universe is Lake Como in Italy. There is something so special for me about this enormous lake set at the foothills of the Italian Alpes. A magical place that inspires me.